It’s working well so far. I am starting the third year of curating the books I am reading a lot more consciously and I am looking forward to all the things I’ll learn along the way.
Here are the 2021diverse reading list and 2020 diverse reading list summaries and the recommendations for those years.
In the beginning, there was the question of whether that could change the world and by now I think I am ready to answer with a “yes”.
The yes however comes – as usual – with a few restrictions. First, one needs to be in a privileged position to even think about curating one’s reading list, and secondly only that is not enough. So it’s not a universal tool I recommend to everyone for everything, but it’s one thing among others I do to change myself and therefore the world.
Do you have tips, authors, or books you think I should read? Please send me a message!
berta @ herrberta.art
Books read in 2022
- Arthur Rimbaud – Illuminations
- Helmut Schmidt, Fritz Stern – Unser Jahrhundert
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr. – Slaughterhouse-five
- Octavia E. Butler – Parable of the Sower
- Bundesministerium der Justiz und für Verbraucherschutz – Betreuungsrecht
- John Doerr – Measure what matters
- Dimitry Glukhovsky – Metro 2033 4/4
- Octavia E. Butler – Parable of the Talents
- Rainer Maria Rilke – Das Stundenbuch
- Doris Lessing – The good terrorist
- Nisi Shawl – 2043…(A Merman I Should Turn To Be): Black Stars Series
- Nnedi Okorafor – The Black Pages: Black Stars Series
- Joe Sacco – Wir gehören dem Land (Paying the land)
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie – The Visit: Black Stars Series
- C. T. Rwizi – These Alien Skies: Black Stars Series
- Nalo Hopkinson – Clap Back: Black Stars Series
- Victor LaValle – We Travel the Spaceways: Black Stars Series
- Eure Heimat ist unser Alptraum – edited by: Fatma Aydemir, Hengameh Yaghoobifarah (Publisher)
- Sonya Renee Taylor – The Body Is Not An Apology
- Slavoj Zizek – Faktor X: Das Ding und die Leere
- The ABCs of Socialism – edited by: Bhaskar Sunkara
- Dschinns – Fatma Aydemir
- Feminist Fight Club – Jessica Bennett
- Max Czollek – Gegenwartsbewältigung
The stats so far
- Woman/Men/Other 11/10/2
- BIPOC*/White 12/12
- Art or Graphic Novel/Non-Fiction/Fiction or Poetry 2/8/13
- Paper/e-reader/Audiobook 10/0/13
- The language I read/ heard the book in German/English 8/15
*here I count all authors who aren’t part of the dominant culture/ share their perspective as part of a marginalized group – the dominant culture usually is white. As I am a German reader the wannabe dominating culture, in that case, is white, cis-gender, heterosexual, and somewhat Christian.
Any hints on how to do the diverse reading list stats better? Ideas welcome!
What I am reading at the moment
- Max Czollek – Desintegriert euch
- Kim Stanley Robinson – Das Ministerium für die Zukunft
Diverse reading list: Books I’d like to read
- Paul Mason – Postkapitalismus
- Thomas Piketty – Sozialismus der Zukunft
- Eva von Redecker – Revolution für das Leben: Philosophie der neuen Protestformen
- Francis Seeck & Brigitte Theißl – Solidarisch gegen Klassismus
- Samantha Schweblin – Little Eyes
- Dilek Güngör – Vater und ich
- McKenzie Wark – Capital Is Dead: Is This Something Worse?
- Robin DiAngelo – White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism
- Thích Nhất Hạnh – The art of power
- Erin Morgenstern – The Starless Sea: the spellbinding Sunday
- Joan Halifax – Standing at the Edge: Finding Freedom Where Fear and Courage Meet
- Leonora Carrington – The Hearing Trumpet
- Sabrina Ward Harrison – Spilling Open: The Art of Becoming Yourself
- Robert Jones, Jr. – The Prophets
- Adebayo C Akomolafe – WE WILL TELL OUR OWN STORY!: The Lions of Africa Speak!
- Travis Alabanza – Before I Step Outside [You Love Me]
- Penélope Bagieu – Valerosas 2 : mujeres que solo hacen lo que ellas quieren
- So Long Been Dreaming: Postcolonial Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Alexis Lothian – Old Futures: Speculative Fiction and Queer Possibility
- Suzette Haden Elgin – Native Tounge
- Diane di Prima – Recollections of My Life as a Woman
- Frank Ostaseski – The Five Invitations: What the Living Can Learn From the Dying
- Saul D. Alinsky – Call Me a Radical: Organizing und Empowerment
- Yasunari Kawabata – Schneeland
Comic books/ Graphic novels
We have 5 series we are following. I am trying to stick to the rule of only having 5. We can only start a new one once we officially stop another, preferably when the story is finished.
- Frank Herbert – Dune, The Graphic Novel
- Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda – Monstress
- Darcy Van Poelgeest, Ian Bertram – Little Bird
Dmitry Glukhovsky – Metro 2033– finished 4/4 Brian K. Vaughan – Y the last man– stopped
Courses to take/ Groups to participate in
Books aren’t the only way to develop a better understanding of the world so I’ll list some of the talks, courses, and groups I am engaged in or plan on being engaged in.
Currently actively engaged
- BUND Arbeitskreis Suffizienz
- Diskussionsgruppe: Klima und Kapitalismus – linke Antworten
- Meditationsgruppe in der Tradition nach Thích Nhất Hạnh
- Guiding a meditation live in German on InsightTimer each Tuesday at 8:30
- Scrum Master Learning Path
- Zertifikat Politik Management Green Campus
- In Krisen richtig kommunizieren